“Gun Death” Infection


When Rory Staunton scraped his arm diving for a basketball, nobody thought much about it. But two days later, the 12-year-old was fighting for his life in a New York City hospital as bacteria from the injury raced through his bloodstream. He died in the intensive care unit. The bacteria and his body’s reaction to it — a condition known as septic shock — killed him, doctors determined.

The night after Rory scraped himself he started to experience odd symptoms. “A little after midnight I heard him in the bathroom throwing up,” his mom, Orlaith Staunton, told TODAY. “So I went in. He was screaming with a pain in his leg. He said ‘it’s my leg, mom. It’s my leg.’”

Doc didn’t catch it, thought it was a stomach bug. Kid died. Crazy. But not a “Gun Death” so probably not tragic.

h/t Bob

This entry was posted in Gun Death?. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to “Gun Death” Infection

  1. Divemedic says:

    Leg pain and vomiting are classic signs of septicemia. It’s a shame.

  2. Bubblehead Les says:

    Somewhere in your Inbox is a story that shows an American is 3 times more likely to die from an Infection picked up in the Hospital than they would die from a GunShot Wound. According to the CDC, nearly 100,000 people die in the Hospital from an Infection that they picked up while in the Hospital. Using Peterson Logic, we therefore must form the “Coalition to Stop Hospital Infection Violence” and call for an Immediate Ban on ALL Emergency Rooms!

  3. Kristopher says:

    Too many doctors spoiled by modern medicine.

    A 19th Century doctor would have spotted it in a heartbeat … and would have quietly told his family to make funeral arrangements, as he would not have been able to do a damned thing about it.

  4. Old NFO says:

    A young life snuffed out in ANY way is truly sad… And Kris is correct!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *